The crew of "Gold Rush" Oregon is still a crack at panning for gold on the Discovery Channel


The crew of "Gold Rush" Oregon is still a crack at panning for gold on the Discovery Channel
There may be gold in Alaska, but the Oregon men, who hunted it last season on "Gold Rush" is not exactly hit pay dirt.

And judging by the first episode of Season 2 - which debuts Friday night on Discovery - search does not get any easier.

The first season premiered in December 2010. The audience greeted Todd Hoffman and his father, Jack Hoffman, who lives in Sandy, where they owned and operated by Sandy River Airport.

As shown by its frame, Hoffmans and several of their friends were suffering tough economic times and went to Alaska in search of gold, like old-fashioned adventure reaction to the recession.

The exhibition was a hit for Discovery; episodes watched by an average of 3 million viewers, a healthy number on Friday, a low viewership night.

While Jack Hoffman mined gold in Alaska 25 years ago, the crew of the Oregon fight with their inexperience and hold water.

Some viewers objected to the seemingly careless handling of their environment. But regulators in Alaska, the Government stated that the crew Hoffman received the necessary permits and are usually not in violation of land use policies.

By the end of season 1, the crew spent $ 250,000 to Hoffman in the search, but found only $ 20,000 worth of gold in Alaska before winter shut down their operations.

As today's special episode, "Season", explains Todd Hoffman spent the first half of this year, is taking steps to return to Alaska.

In the first episode of the new season, which follows a special, Todd, Jack and his team returned to Porcupine Creek, only to find the unwanted surprise.

Among the crew of David Turin, which has appeared in several episodes last season as a consultant for the miners. This year in Turin, joined the crew full time.

With the end of season production in Alaska, he returned to Sandie Turin, working on his family business. We talked about the problems of taking the time to go to Alaska and the desire for adventure that led him there. Questions and answers have been edited for clarity and length.

Q: How did you first participate in the show?

A: I knew Todd from the church, and we have developed a good friendship over the years. And last year, with my experience in the mining industry, Todd asked me for some advice. (Turin Turin works at Jim and Son Inc. in Sandy, family owned company that supplies materials paving.) I helped him last year when they were in Alaska. This year, in January, he approached me about joining their crew full time.

Q: What do you think?

A: My reaction was, I wanted to go to (in Alaska), because it's an adventure. This caused some of the things in me that kind of went dormant. I'm the guy who likes a challenge. But what bothered me was so worldly temptations. I was afraid I'd get caught up in fame and fortune. So I talked to my wife. I've been married for 30 years of my high school sweetheart. After much prayer and blessing of my wife, I told Todd I would talk to my brothers (in the family business). They were not real receptive to the idea, but after a lot of talk, they agreed to let me go.

Q: How long did you leave?

A: I was in Alaska from May to late September. I got about three weeks earlier, to create, put in a septic system, water systems, all with permission. We hired an expert out there to help us with this. We had to create the infrastructure to handle the seven miners, and a part of their family, and then the film crew.

Q: How does your wife feel about you going to Alaska for five months?

A: My wife, Shelley, is an RN, and she was a volunteer at a clinic in Rockwood. She resigned herself to follow me to Alaska and help me with my dream. We bought a small trailer travel, and she fixed breakfast for all miners, five days a week. It is quite a lady.

Q: Were you paid for their work in the show?

A: I was paid to attend. It was not a huge amount.

Q: What are you going to after the experience?

A: I'm pretty confident and I feel that I am quite good at his job. So I go there, and that scared me was my own lack of knowledge and inexpertise. I thought I was over my head. But we got through it. Interestingly, with this show, we feel that allows us a platform to help motivate people to help themselves. It was amazing, and I would not trade it for anything.

Comments (0)